According to the Almond Board of California, eating 23 almonds a day is a simple and easy diet tip to enjoy good health.
Almonds are one of the most nutrient-dense nuts. They are an excellent source of vitamin E, magnesium and manganese, and a good source of protein, fiber, copper, phosphorous and riboflavin. They are naturally salt-free and low in sugar.
Along with the nuts, almond oil is also healthy. In fact, almond oil is one of the most commonly used natural oils in the beauty world, as it is packed with antioxidants, including vitamin E and a variety of protective plant chemicals.
Almonds and the oil also have omega-3 fatty acids that are beneficial for skin and hair.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of almonds for skin, hair and nails.
1. Keeps Skin Healthy
Almonds are a great way to pamper your skin. They can improve skin complexion, reduce the severity of sun damage and make your skin healthy from within.
The high vitamin E content in almonds helps fight off damaging free radicals and even oxidative damage, which can take a toll on your skin.
A 2007 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology reports that topical application of almond oil can protect the skin from ultraviolet (UV) irradiation. It can even reverse previous damage.
Another study published in 2010 in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice sheds light on the emollient properties of almond oil, which helps rejuvenate and soften the skin.
- Just a 5-minute body massage with almond oil after taking a bath can do wonders for your skin.
- For a weekly skin treatment, prepare a scrub by blending together 10 soaked almonds and a little honey. Use this scrub once a week to get rid of dead skin cells and add a healthy glow to your skin.
- To boost your skin health from within, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of sweet almond oil to a cup of warm milk and drink it daily.
2. Reduces Wrinkles and Fine Lines
Needless to say, almonds can also fend off wrinkles and fine lines.
Vitamin E, a strong antioxidant present in almonds, is essential for regeneration of new skin cells that help keep the skin plump and moisturized. Also, it can tighten the skin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s-feet as well as age spots.
Moreover, almonds have an abundance of protein, which is the building block of skin.
- For a daily treatment, apply some warm almond oil onto your wrinkles. Gently massage for at least 5 minutes. Do this every night before going to bed.
- For an anti-wrinkle face pack, combine 1 tablespoon of almond powder, 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and apply it on your face. Allow it to dry, then scrub it off and rinse your face with lukewarm water. Use this face pack once or twice a week.
3. Promotes Healthy Hair
Be it hair loss, thinning hair, graying hair, frizzy hair or an itchy scalp, almond oil is the answer to many hair problems.
Being rich in hair-friendly nutrients like vitamin E, biotin, manganese, copper and essential fatty acids, almond oil promotes healthy hair growth.
Also, the oil penetrates deep into the hair shafts and softens scalp tissue to treat scalp inflammation.
Plus, the zinc in almond oil promotes the renewal of new cells. In fact, a zinc deficiency often contributes to thinning of hair and hair loss.
Use either of the following remedies to improve the health of your hair:
- Massage your scalp in circular motions with lukewarm almond oil mixed with a few drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils. Leave it on for 2 hours, then shampoo as usual. Do it 2 or 3 times a week.
- Another option is to heat 3 tablespoons of almond oil, 2 tablespoons of castor oil and the petals of 2 or 3 hibiscus flower for a few minutes. Allow it to cool, then massage your scalp with it for 10 minutes. Wrap your head with a towel and allow it to sit for 1 hour. Wash it out with shampoo, and condition your hair. Do this once a week.
4. Diminishes Dark Circles
Almond oil is also beneficial for treating dark circles under your eyes.
Being rich in nourishing vitamins and minerals, almond oil can rejuvenate the delicate skin under your eyes and help lighten the dark circles.
Use either of the following remedies daily until the dark circles disappear:
- Massage the skin under your eyes with a few drops of almond oil. Leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with cold water.
- Mix 5 or 6 drops of almond oil into 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Apply it gently on the skin under your eyes before going to bed. Leave it on overnight, then wash with cool water the next morning.
5. Lightens Dark Lips
You can use almond oil to make your lips lively and vibrant. It has many essential nutrients that will nourish your lips, and its softening and moisturizing properties will make them soft and beautiful. Plus, its antioxidant properties will help lighten and brighten dark lips.
Use any of the following remedies to lighten and soften your lips:
- Apply a few drops of almond oil on your lips and massage gently. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Prepare a mixture with equal amounts of castor oil and almond oil. Use it to massage your lips once or twice a day to lighten their color.
- Mix 5 or 6 drops of almond oil with 1 teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on your lips, wait 10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use it twice daily to enjoy pink and soft lips.
6. Treats Saggy Skin
Almond oil can help you maintain firm and smooth. Its antioxidant properties render anti-aging benefits by reversing the damage caused by free radicals.
Plus, it will help improve your skin tone and texture, due to its moisturizing property.
- Slightly warm some almond oil in the microwave.
- Apply it on your saggy skin.
- Massage gently with your fingertips for 10 minutes, using circular motions in an upward direction.
- Use this remedy daily before going to bed.