In order to have a healthier lifestyle “olive oil” is a must and have numerous benefits. It does not only add great flavour to salads, pastas, sauces and vegetables but has health advantages over other oils. Here’s list of 6 good reasons to use olive oil.
1. Protection against heart diseases: Olive oil is a rich source of Omega-3 and omega-6 types of fatty acids which are very good for heart and help in prevention of heart diseases. Consumption of olive oil helps in decreasing the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing the level of good cholesterol (HDL).
2. Anti-oxidants in olive oil help in delaying ageing: Olive oil contains about 1.5% of unsaponifiable portion, which contains anti-oxidants. Virgin oil contains the highest proportion of anti-oxidants, which protect the body from the damaging activity of free radicals. Olive oil is the only oil, which is extracted from a fruit. Thus it has some of the goodness of fruits. It is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins just like fruits are.
3. Controlling high blood pressure: Regular use of olive oil has shown to decrease both systolic and diastolic pressures. This could be related to the fact that olive oil reduces the risk of developing arthrosclerosis.
4. Providing diabetes control: Regular use of olive oil improves blood sugar control and enhances insulin sensitivity. The property of olive oil to lower levels of bad cholesterol and increase the levels of good cholesterol (HDL) further helps in preventing the development of coronary artery disease in diabetic patients.
5. Reduces Obesity: It has been shown that diets rich in olive oil lead to greater and longer-lasting weight loss in comparison to a low-fat diets.
6. Effects on memory: Eating a diet rich in olive oil helps slowing down the age related memory loss. The positive action on memory is related to presence of high content of oleic acid in olive oil, which is an important component of the cell membranes of neurons (brain cells).
Important Note: The articles are presented and provided by third party authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Saloni™ Health and Beauty Supply. They should not be considered as medical advice or diagnosis. Consult with your physician prior to following any suggestions provided.