Henna is one of most popular and old herb to use for hair dye. Henna has different color effect on hair depend on color of hair so before you start putting a colorant over your entire hair it is recommend doing a strand test first. Make up a small amount of the homemade hair dye and try it on a small discreet strand of hair, leave it for around 30 minutes then wash out. If it’s too bright for your liking, leave it on a bit longer, to dark, a little shorter.
Natural Colors to Add in Henna
Add these ingredients to mix to henna for color and shine.
Coffee (for a dull red)
Chamomile or rhubarb root (for light hair)
Red wine Optional (for a rich auburn colour)
Indigo (for very dark hair)
• Henna powder 6 tbsp
• Ground coffee beans or indigo 1 tbsp (for dull red color)
• Boiling water 200 ml or half water half red wine for the Auburn colour
• Cider vinegar 1 tsp or 1/2 teaspoon if using half water half wine for Auburn colour
• Olive oil 2 tbsp (normal to dry hair)
• Large bowl
• Plastic gloves
• Old towels
• Plastic wrap or plastic cap
• Hair clips
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients with the boiling water and wine if you’re using it. Stir in the cider vinegar and leave the paste to cool a little, until it’s just warm enough to handle.
2. Wrap one of the old towels around your neck and shoulders and either wear an apron or place another old towel over your lap.
3. Rub the oil into your hair and then divide your hair into sections using clips; this will make it much easier to handle for dying.
4. Wear the plastic gloves and starts at the centre of your head; coat each section with the henna paste working from the roots to the ends. Once a section has been well coated with the paste, secure it out of the way on the top of your head.
5. Do the process with other sections and after your hair has been totally coated with the henna treatment, wrap your head fairly tightly with plastic wrap and leave for the required time. This is usually between 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the strand test you did, but basically the longer you leave it the deeper the colour.
6. Rinse the homemade hair dye out of your hair until the water begins to run clear, then shampoo and condition as you normally would.
We’ve reviewed top rated hair colour products available in the market. We have large number coloring product of different brands. Few of them are listed below:
Important Note: The articles are presented and provided by third party authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Saloni™ Health and Beauty Supply. They should not be considered as medical advice or diagnosis. Consult with your physician prior to following any suggestions provided.